Bhagavathula Venkata Naga Sowmya
Born into the traditional Bhagavathula family, Sowmya learnt dance from her father, Natyacharya Bhagavathula Venkata Rama Sarma, distinguished Kuchipudi dancer. Sowmya should consider herself lucky enough to do so since not many girls from the traditional kuchipudi families have pursued as fastidiously as Sowmya has done in Kuchipudi, traditionally a male bastion.
She has also qualified academically having done Masters in Kuchipudi apart from being recipient of the prestigious scholarship from C.C.R.T. Sowmya is equally adept at vocal carnatic music with a diploma to her credit. She has performed in many a prestigious events & stages, the long list is a testimony of the same.
- Super Kid” Award by Talent Academy.
- “The Talented Young” Award by Siti Cable (T.V).
- “Best Dancer” Award by Nirmala High School.
- “Youth Award” by Rotary Club on account of Centrinal Celebrations.
- “NATYA KALA MAYE” Award by Kalangali Academy, Nellore.
- “NATYA MAYURI” Award by Subrahmanyam Art Academy.
- “Visiting Professor” Award by Kalamandapam Academy, Virginia, USA.
- “Youth Award” by Gutti Srinivasa Prasad International Foundation USA.
- For one who has been conferred with many awards, the list of performances is expected to be a very long and distinguished one spread over the entire length and breadth of the country and abroad.
She has been part of many ballets, namely
- Mohini Vijayam,
- Gautham Budha,
- Ashta lakshmi,
- Bhagavad gita,
Sowmya’s has to her credit over 1000 dance performances, competitions and training sessions at various places.
A few are listed out here below.
International performances / training:
- “Dubai Shopping Festival” conducted at Dubai, 2002.
- Virginia and Washington D.C. U.S.A, 2008.
- Silicon Andhra festival-08, Cupertino, CA, USA.
- Trained Students in Connecticut,USA, 2010.
- Lecture Demonstration on Kuchipudi Dance and its Forms in New Delhi October 2009, Organised by IRCEN.
- Lecture Demonstrations on Kuchipudi Dance in Punjab at “Gurdaspur”,2010.
Performances in India:
- “Doordarsan”(DD3), New Delhi.
- “Tanjore Bruhadeswara temple”, South Zone Cultural Center.
- “Andhra Mahasabha”, Mumbai.
- Pondicherry, Dance Festival organized by Pondicherry Govt. and S.Z.C.C.
- “Mysore Pallavostav Festival” 2000.
- “Pragathi Festivals”, New Delhi.
- Andhra Mahasabha Festivals, Latha Mangeshakar Auditorium, Goa.
- Bhuvaneswar Festivals 2004
- “Dindigallu” Festivals conducted by South Zone Cultural Tanjavure.
- “Madurai” Chitra Festivals conducted by Tamil Nadu Tourism Dept.
- As Lord Krishna in the ballet Bhagavatha Gita performed at VAshi, Panevallu and Chembur in Mumbai conducted by Andhra Maha Sabha.
- Madurai Tirumala Naik palace conducted by Tamilnadu Tourism 2003.
- “Kurdha Lok Ustav” festival conducted by Eastern Zonal Culture Center 2010.
- “Delhi International Trade Fair” in Delhi -2010.
- “Ugadi Festivals “ in Delhi -2011.
- Hyderabad, Danced in Shilparama organized by the cultural affairs.
- “Vijayanagara Festival”, Tirupati
- Tirupati Tirumala Srivari Brahmotsava, Danced on Annamayya Sankeertanas.
- Vijayawada & Kottagudem, for All India Radio.
- Kuchipudi, Siddhendra Kalashetram Nrutyostava.
- Kakinada, Dance in “Saraswathi Gana Sabha”.
- A.P. Formation day in Hyderabad conducted by A.P. Tourism.
- “Visakha Festival” in 2000.
- Annamayya Festival held at Tallapaka 2000.
- Tirumala Brahmotsavas, in Annamayya ballet as Annamayya in Tirupati 2001.
- “Kharvela festivals” at Bhuvaneswar.
- “Pudukottai festivals”.
- “Bharatiyam festivals” conducted by Eastern zonal cultural centers at Calcutta.
- “Salangainatham festivals” S.Z.C.C. at Tanjavur, Tiruvayyur, 2007.
- “Mysore festivals”, Cultural Affairs 2007.
- “Thunchan Vidayarambham Kalosthavam” S.Z.C.C., Tirur, Kerala, 2008.
- Dhrama Parchara Parishad at Tirupati in Brammaostavas.
- Krishna Utsav 2001,2002.
- Hasta kala Ramam at Tirupati, A.P. Tourism.
- First prize in Kuchipudi competition – Kala Darshini 2002.
- 13th A.P. State Youth Festivals, 2002 2nd prize in Kuchipudi dance competition.
- “Amaravathi festivals” Guntur.
- Gauthama Buddha ballet, Hyderabad Tourism festival 2004.
- Nellore festivals – Annamacharaya project.
- “Visalandhra Golden Jubilee
- Won First prize in inter college festivals conducted by Nagarjuna University.
- “Kalathoranam” festivals, Vijayawada.
- Sivarathri Mahothsav in Kalahasthi Temple
- “Music academy” Visakhapatnam, 2003
- Pushkaras at Badhrachalam, Narasapuram, Rajamundry and Kovuru, Endowment and Government
- “Kuchipudi Rupakostavalu” as Lord Krishna in ballet Sri Bhagavad Gita and won the award “Swarna Siddherdha Yogi pra prathama purskar.”
- “Shri Ram Chandra Mission” Master’s Birthday celebrations
- “Krishan Pushkaras” Tourism and Durga Devathanam, Doordarshan.
- As Yayathi king in Yayathi Sarmishta Drama, Vishakapatnam Kalabharathi theatre.
- Prakasam festivals, Ongole, 2006.
- Kalachakra festivals 2006 – as Gauthama Buddha.
- I.T.C. function, Guntur.
- Cultural Affairs – Dasara Festival 2006, Lalitha Kala Thoranam, Hyderabad.
- Tourism Dept – Dasara festivals 2006, Shilaparamam, Hyderabad.
- Satyanarayana Swamy Brammaostavas at Annavaram.
- Mantralayam, “Sri Raghvendra Swamy 336 Aradhana Utsava’s 2007.
- N.C.C & I.R.C festivals, National festivals in Kakinada 2007.
- Dance ballet Ramayanam as Rama, Bhimavaram, 2007 & Kalabharathi festival, Vizag.
- Srivari Brammosthvas Tirupati 2008.
- “Sarasawathi Sangeeta Sabha festival” 2008, in Bhimavaram.
- “World Telugu Federations – 09” Vijayawada 2009.
- Hamsdwani Academy , Nrutyangali 2009.
- Simhapuri Sangeetha Sabha , Nellore, 2009.
- “Buddha Jayanthi” Hyderabad -2010.
- “Nadha Neerajam” Tirumala, 010.
- “Tirupathi Brammostavalu” Tirupathi-2010.
- “2nd International Silicon Andhra Kuchipudi Dance Festivals” Hyderabad, 2010.
- “Vedanta Festivals” Gudivada,2011 .
- “Tanisha Festivals” at Kuchipudi, 2011.
- “SataMayuri Festivals”at Kuchipudi, 2011.
D/o B.Venkara Rama Sarma
Iyyanna Naidu Street, 1st line
Kotha Vanthena Centre
Landline : +91 0866-2435802,
Mobile : +91 9849 403167.
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.